BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Vintage Blog #4: Mickey Q's (10/10/2007)

So I was driving down South Clinton tonight after I left class. I'm in between Westfall and Elmwood right? So I look to the right, and what do I see?
MCQUAID. The parking lot to Mc Quaid is OVERFLOWING so much they have guys with light wands directing the traffic. So naturally, the first thing that comes into my mind? OMG, there must be a McQuaid dance tonight! (LMAO)
For those of you not from the ROC, I need to make you understand a few things.
First of all, McQuaid is the ONLY remaining all-boys school (jr and sr high) in the ENTIRE area. Second of all, it's run by the Jesuits. If you don't know who the Jesuits are, go bang your hang several times in succession against the library's brick wall. Thirdly, excepting Harley and Allendale-Columbia, Mc Quaid is the third most expensive private (not to mention the most expensive Catholic) school in the ROC. So for various reasons, the McQ has quite the reputation...........
*************************************************************
So yes, the famous Mc Quaid dances. First of all, you enter the side door to the building. You show your school ID, usually from a Catholic Jr or Sr High (depending on which dance you go to.) An unlimited number of girls may attend the dance, but boys from other schools may only attend via the permission of another McQuaid student. Pay your admission and go down the stairs.
The lights remain on in the hallway. You take a left into the darkened room with a mini lightshow and DJ music; you are at the dance. Ye typical dance floor dynamics take place here, with the sole exception of the Naz girls who break it down on the dance floor (represent!) because we're the only ones who REALLY know how to dance and not look like hoochie mamas. As the night goes on, the tiled floor gets incredibly slippery because of the the sheer number of overheated bodies in one space. The girls acts like they're hot shit, the weird-ass McQ boys (spaghetti boy, Navy JROTC Vampire guy, etc....) try to desparately make moves in hope of........whatever.
The dance ends, the lights go up..........and you realize you've just spend the last few hours of this night...........in a cafeteria.
I shit you not. That's when you run the hell up the stairs and wait out in the cold, praying to god your ride will show up at any minute.
*************************************************************
So all of these memories flood through my brain in a matter of seconds before I look to the right again. I see really bright lights and I look closer.
There's a soccer game going on tonight.
I brake for the red light, shake my head, and ask "What the HELL was I thinking?"
Truthfully, I think I've only been to two or three McQuaid dances max. Why my brain chose to remember those particular details I have no bloody fecking clue.
As soon as the light turns green, I step on the gas and hightail my way through South Wedge. I breathe a sigh of relief when I see the lovely Pink and Teal Cinema. *Sigh*

0 comments: